Sunday, May 8, 2011

Brett Jared's memory: A History



My birthday is coming up quickly. I will be 30 years old. That is, at the most, a third of my life right there. The way things are going with pesticides and french fries, It could be half of my life right there. Lets hope for somewhere in the middle, for the sake of myself and everyone around me who finds me to be a nice Spirit and pleasant to be around. Though, I cannot make any promises that I will be this pleasant or nice to be around when I am 65 years old. If I get to be that old.

The one thing that I have taken a firm hold of in my life is my melancholy and reminiscing memory. I like to look back on the way things were; how I got this way, and what has already happened in my life. For some reason, my birthday magnifies this pondering and thoughtfulness. In the past, I made a list with the Top 25 moments in my life. This took a lot of time and thought, and of course it was hard to choose from memory, what the best moments of my life were. But at the same time, I am happy to look back on all these moments, knowing that in my imperfect memory there are many more that rival these.

My older brother and I joke that I remember more about his childhood than he does. That is not a knock on Bryce. I am pretty sure that he never smoked anything to mess up his memory. I just think that I have a good long term one.

My short term memory is sub par, at best. If I am introduced to someone new It will usually take me about 5 seconds to forget their name. Yet I can vividly recall the day that Bryce got his new Kamikaze skateboard for what must have been his 10th or 11th birthday.

So, since this is quite a special occasion, I have decided to up the stakes a bit. I will make a 6 part series on my life, cut into 5 year increments, and will start posting them on May 13th. I hope to highlight memories that have effected me. If I remember something vividly it must mean that it has had an effect on me. I’m not sure how the skateboard fits into all of this, but I want to try and find out.



The mouse is hopping on the wheel.

At first, I thought that this would take a lot of research. I would need to email my mom and get a bunch of details, time of birth and such, to make sure that I was telling the truth. But then I thought that I would just skip all of that and go with my own memory on this. I might be wrong here and there, but in general I want to see what this thing is capable of. I want the things that I write about to be the things that I remember the most about my first 30 years. The first 10 years or so might be full of memories that are a little hazy. They will probably be shorter entries than the more recent years. But then again, I’ve written about the more recent years so many times during the more recent years that I am actually looking forward to the challenge of digging up fresh memories of the past, if that makes any sense.

So, stay tuned. I hope that what I dig up can be of interest, can give insight to why I am the way that I am, and can encourage you to look back on some of the more memorable times in your own life. And, if I get the facts wrong, I am sure that mom will be able to comment and correct;)

In between now and then I will post my Top 30. I’ll add 5 more and post that on here in a bit, just for a warm up.

1 comment:

Lois said...

Pondering, thoughtfulness, reminiscing memory, and introvertedness are character traits that are inherited, I think, from those we are spawned from. I, too, share in this.
You DO remember so much and I love reading about your 'take' on growing up. Now about turning 30? This is a great decade for you - so much will happen in the next 10 years! Enjoy! Love always, Mom